Submitted by Mel Williams
Original recipe is from the blog All Day I Dream About Food. (side note: this woman loves food as much as I do… and her recipes all look amazing!)
Mel says “I have made this about 10 times, it takes minutes to throw together and then in the oven for an hour and a bit. It’s delicious hot, but also keeps well in the fridge, and eaten the next day cold. I just tweaked it for South African measurements and ingredients. Serve with a lovely green salad.”
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 punnet mushrooms, sliced
- 3 medium courgettes, sliced 0.5mm thick
- 1 pkt Woolies Pickled peppers , drained
- 250g cream cheese, softened
- 6 large eggs
- 60ml cream
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper 2
- 50g grated semi-hard cheese eg. Swiss cheese or cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Brush bottom and sides of a 20cm cake tin with oil. Line bottom with parchment and brush parchment with oil.
- Wrap outside of pan with aluminum foil, to capture any leakage.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, mushrooms, and courgettes.
- Saute until vegetables for 10 mins until almost tender.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, eggs and cream .
- Stir in garlic, basil, salt and pepper.
- Add the cooked vegetables to egg mixture, then add drained pickled peppers. Add grated cheese. S
- tir with a rubber spatula to combine.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and set pan on baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 1/2 – 1 3/4 hours or until top is puffy and golden brown and the center no longer jiggles when shaken.
- Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes in pan, then run a sharp knife around edges of torta to loosen.
- Gently remove pan sides.
- Serve warm, room temperature, or cold.
Serves 8 (large slices). Each serving has 8.25g of carbs and 1.5g of fiber.
*Photo credit from the site “All Day I Dream About Food”