If you have been following me you will know that along with roasted chicken, this “green soup” is my weekly go to. Its quick and easy to make, keeps well in the fridge for 4-5 days and its a good way of getting in all the veg and some good fats too!
This is how I do it!
Easy peasy lemon squeezy!
If you have a pressure cooker this is the best use of your roast chicken carcasses.
- Put about 4-5 cups of water in your pressure cooker.
- Add your bones (I usually do this when I have 2 – 3 carcasses)
- Secure the lid and put on for about 30 minutes.
- Discard the bones and let it cool or make your soup straight away.
- If you still have your roasting juices, add this in too. It makes for the most delicious stock, full of goodness.
- 4-5 cups of Chicken Stock (home made is best)
- 1kg of courgettes
- 1 White onion/baby leeks
- Olive oil
- 3 massive handfuls of baby spinach
- Any other green veg you might have on hand.
- 2 heaped teaspoons of garlic
- You might also want to add some ginger, cayenne pepper
- Put a little olive oil in your pot and fry up you sliced onions for a minute or 2
- Add the courgettes and spinach, garlic, salt & pepper and any other herbs or spices you might want to add.
- Season well
- Pour in your stock and cook till the veg is tender.
- Using a stick blender, blend your soup to your desired texture.
Eat and enjoy.
I like to add the follow for some variety.
- Crumble blue cheese or feta
- Add some chili or cayenne pepper for spice
- A tablespoon or 2 of fresh cream for added fat and richness
- A knob of butter for kicks and giggles!