Submitted by Lisa Rowell
Lisa says “I kind of make the salad up as I go along/depending on what’s in the fridge so it’s all flexible, and you will have to adapt to make it no/low carb, but the basics are….”
- 4-5 Zucchini,
- 2 red peppers,
- 3 red onions,
- 2 mielies (I would leave these out – or maybe not! The pop of yellow would be fab!)
- Salad leaves (I would use a combination of baby spinach, watercress, rocket with some other lettuce leaves.)
- 1 Avo – sliced or cubed
- 2 Spring onions – finely sliced
- Croutons (naturally I would leave these out or perhaps add in some roasted seeds and nuts)
- Paneer (cheese)
- Lemon juice
- 100ml Vinegar
- 3T brown sugar (would need to investigate a keto equivalent)
- 2t salt
- 3T hummus
- 2T chermoula paste, (never heard of this! Google says its like harissa paste, which I love!)
- 1T honey
- 1T olive oil
- A little hot water to thin down.
- A little garlic and lemon juice to taste
The chargrilled elements:
- Slice the zucchini and peppers into strips about 1cm thick, cut 2 of the onions into quarters – drizzle all lightly with oil and herb salt, toss to coat.
- Leave mielies whole.
- Heat up a griddle pan till smoking hot then add in the veg, one layer at a time so you can control the charring. Aim for the grill marks but still retain the crunch. Set aside to cool.
- Put the mielies in whole and turn occasionally until charred nicely. When cool enough to handle, slice the kernels off in shards – like on TV 😉
Pickling the Onion:
- Heat up 100ml vinegar with ±3T brown sugar and ±2t salt in a jug in the microwave, just enough to make the sugar dissolve easily.
- Finely slice the 3rd onion into petals, and add to the hot vinegar mixture, give a good stir then set aside to cool.
- This is a quick method of pickling.
- Cube the paneer, sprinkle with turmeric, salt and lemon juice, drizzle with oil and toss to coat.
- Fry gently until crusty brown on the outside. (Don’t over cook)
- You could also do tofu or haloumi, or just crumbled feta at the end.
- Cover a large platter with salad leaves
- Arrange the cooled chargrilled veg on top, sprinkle over the pickled red onion slivers, paneer and avo.
- Scatter over as many croutons as you like.
- Good to go.
- In a small jar combine 3T hummus, 2T chermoula paste, 1T honey, 1T olive oil, a little hot water to thin down.
- Give it a good shake to combine (don’t forget to put the lid on ;-), season to taste, then shake up again.
- You could add in more garlic and a bit of lemon juice if needed.
Lisa says its “also lovely to do cubed steamed butternut (I have a real weakness for roasted butternut myself), roasted beetroot, toasted almond slivers, mixed nuts and seeds. Make it a whole meal with sauteed chicken fillets as well. Options are pretty endless, and so worth it if you commit to the whole chargrilling effort.
Et, bon apetito.