I am kicking it up a level… I am going to be counting my carbs. It’s a bit of an administrative mare, but I am keen to do this little exercise for the next couple of weeks and the plan is to keep carbs between 20g-25g daily. This, should get me into ketosis and into the “optimum weight loss zone” – Lordie, I hope so!
With a little help from the Atkins Carb Counter, I made a list of the foods that I normally shove down my throat. If you interested in looking at the whole list click on here.
Now, bear in mind, that once the veg is cooked the carb count does go up… due to all the other goodies that you may be putting with it. But this is a good start. And, I am never a purist but plan to stick to this as much as possible.
My next target is to get to 90kg. There isn’t a time line… but rather the idea of “consistent, slowly but surely, the tortoise rather than the hare” kind of mentality. The lard with fall! Eventually.
Here is my list, just a simplified guideline. Along with my fab diary from Sweet Paper Design Company, I am planning and preparing for a successful 2018.
Aim is to consume 20-25g of carbs a day.
This is a guide obtained from the Atkins Group.
Carb counts will increase with cooking
Beef, Lamb, Pork, Chicken and Fish
- Normal cuts of beef : 0
- Lamb : 0
- Pork (normal cuts) : 0
- Bacon , 1 rasher : 1.5
- Beef and Pork sausage, 1 link : 1.1
- Chicken : 0
- Chicken livers, 114g : 1.3
- Fish (generally speaking – hake, salmon, tuna) : 0
- Prawns, squid, mussels, calamari have carbs.
- Coffee (black brewed) : 0
- Cappuccino with full milk : 9
- Latte with full milk : 14
- Decaf Instant : 0.8
- With 1 T Cream : 0.4
- With 1 T Full Cream Milk : 0.7
- Tea (black brewed) : 0
- Coke Zero : 0
- Coke Light : 0
- Sugar Free Tonic Water : 0
- Gin : 0
- Scotch : 0
- Vodka : 0
- Sauvignon Blanc, 100ml : 2
- Rosè Wine, 100ml : 2.4
- Red Wine, 100ml : 2.6
Diary and Eggs
- Butter, 1 cup : 0.1
- Brie, 28g: 0.1
- Camembert, 28g : 0.1
- Cream Cheese Brick, 1T : 1.2
- Cheddar, 28g : 0.4
- Feta, 28g : 1.2
- Soft Goat Cheese, 28g : 0.3
- Gouda, 28g : 0.6
- Laughing Cow, 1 Wedge : 1
- Mozzeralla, 28g : 0.6
- Parmigiano-Reggiano, 1T : 0
- Sour Cream , 1C : 5.5
- Eggs , 0.4
- Full Cream Milk, 1C : 11.7
- Full Cream Milk, ¼ cup : 3
- Heavy Cream, 2T : 0.8
- Royal Gala or Red Delicious, Half : 7.9
- Blackberries , 1/2 C up : 3.3
- Raisins, 1T : 6.8
- Raspberries, Half a cup : 3.4
- Strawberries, Half a cup : 4.7
- Almonds whole roasted, 24 : 2.2
- Brazil, 6 : 1.4
- Macadamia, 10 : 1.4
- Pine Nuts, 2T : 1.3
- Pistachios, 2T : 3.0
- Walnuts, 12 : 1.7
Oils, Vinegar and Salad Dressings
- Nola May0, 1T : 2
- Hellman’s Original, 1T : 0
- Olive Oil, 1T : 0
- Balsamic, 1T : 2.7
- Red Wine Vinegar, 1T : 0
- White Wine Vinegar, 1T : 1.5
- PNP Sweetner Stick Sachets, 1 Sachet : 0
- Equal Sucralose, 1 Sachets : 0
- Asparagus Fresh, 6 : 1.9
- Avo Hass, Half : 1.3
- Green Beans steamed, Half a cup : 2.9
- Pak Choy, Half a cup : 0.4
- Broccoli Steamed, Half a cup : 1.8
- Broccoli raw, half a cup : 0.8
- Baby Marrow, 100g : 1
- Cabbage raw, half a cup : 1.1
- Cauliflower Steamed, half a cup : 1.7
- Cucumber, half a cup : 1.6
- Garlic, 1 clove : 0.9
- Iceberg Lettuce, 1 cup : 1.3
- Mushrooms Button, raw , ½ cup : 0.8
- Olives, green pimento stuffed, 5 : 0.1
- Onions – white chopped, ¼ cup : 4.3
- Red Raw Onions, 2T : 1.5
- Bell Peppers Green , ¼ cup : 1.6
- Bell Peppers Red, ½ cup : 3.0
- Baby Spinach, ½ cup : 0.7
- Tomatoes – Cherry, 10 : 4.6
- Plum/Roma, 1 : 1.7
Example of a daily dose!
- 2 x Fried eggs 0.8 carbs
- ½ cup of button mushrooms 0.8 carbs
- 3 x rashers of bacon 4.5 carbs
- Lettuce 1.3 carbs
- ½ Red pepper 1.5 carbs
- Tomato 1.7 carbs
- Boiled egg 0.4 carbs
- Mayo 2T 4 carbs
- Roasted chicken pieces
- 1 cup of broccoli 3.6 carbs
- 5T of cream 2.4
- 28g Cheddar cheese 0.4
21.4 net carbs.
This is not including the butter and olive oil used for cooking!
And please take a moment to weep over the amount of carbs in MILK!!!!
A ¼ cup (my approximate amount of milk I use when making a coffee) is 3 carbs… so now I have to decide! Do I have 2 cups of coffee with milk per day or I could have 6 wedges of laughing cow to my lunch time salad!? Black coffee is starting to look a little more appealing!
Anyway, so here we go! Starting on Monday 8th January 2018, we level up. Hope this is going to be a game changer!
PS: The measurements I got are from the Atkins carb counting PDF. As I work on this and I buy SA products I will add them to my list and change others if necessary. Do not take this as gospel, if you are going to count carbs, be sure you are checking your products!